In addition to facilitating water applications, Pani Haq Samiti also works towards creating informed public opinions based on equitable distribution of water as a resource. During this process, we have aligned ourselves with other organisations and campaigns that share this view in order to create resources and study material.
- Human Rights Commission: In 2018 PHS has filed 37 cases of human rights violations, with the State Human Rights Commission, India. These cases are still being followed up on a regular basis.
- Documentary on the right to water: Scroll.in in collaboration with environment and sustainability television show ‘ECO INDIA‘. Scroll.in co-produces it with DW-TV, Germany’s international broadcasters. The idea of the show is to highlight environment and climate change issues with a focus on sustainable solutions and inspiring stories of change. The documentary on the right to water in the slums of Mumbai focusing on the people’s movement for equitable distribution of water. Apart from the daily challenges that these communities face, the landmark judgement that came about with the collective’s activism.
- WRI-Acco Story Challenge 2020-21: Short film on the state of water access in urban India. Izzat ka Pani is the story of Abrar Sulemani; one of Mumbai’s unsung water heroes, who fight the daily battle for dignity and the Right to Water.
- University of Manchester – Water application tracking app: PHS volunteers have supported some 5,000 households in filing 1,100 applications for municipal water connections. However, only 68 of these have been approved to date; the rest have been stuck or lost in the municipal approval system. With multiple ward offices shutting down due to COVID-19 cases, even longer delays in processing applications can be expected.
In collaboration with PHS, the University is developing an app that tracks how applications for water connections pass through Mumbai’s complex bureaucratic system. More information on this project can be found here.
- PHS is compiling a booklet about the water sources and governance structures of the Mumbai metropolitan region.